Saturday 23 April 2011

More Flies!



Yes just what you needed on a gorgeous day like today – more flies (see last post!).

Not very good pictures of them, but for anyone who has been lucky enough not to encounter them this is they. It’s quite hard to take photos of flies whilst ducking to stop them flying in your face.




The St Mark's fly is the largest of the Bibionidae family and the males are about 10mm long – the females 3mm longer than that. These are the flies that you sometimes encounter joined together – male and female mating – still flying round.










I’m not going to get into a birds and bees discussion, don’t worry! The female looks quite different to the male. She has a much smaller head and smaller eyes. I must say the male is the more attractive when it isn’t trying to fly down your throat that is.





Anyway while I was clicking away trying to get a decent shot, I got this one by accident which I rather like.















And somehow the picturesque Mr I managed to get in this one and I had to pretend I was looking for a good shot of him and not trying to photograph flies at all.












16 comments:

  1. Call me weird, but I prefer the pictures of the dog to those of the flies.

    Hope you enjoyed the lovely weather despite the flying beasties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Patsy, the doggie pictures every time. He looks a bit insulted that you took pictures without him on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So do I, Patsy, but don't tell Indy or I'll never hear the end of it :-)

    He's got looking insulted down to a fine art, Suzy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes what's with the flies - I took the dogs for a walk and got mugged by them too. I did notice however that they seemed to be around the field with the cows in it. So next time I'll go somewhere different! Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  5. There seem to be more of them every day, Caroline! I'm fed up with them now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fly pictures are neat! Thanks for sharing them.

    Teresa, I've awarded you the Versatile Blogger award. Come by to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not so mad on the flies, but that is one beautiful dog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Christine - he thinks he's beautiful too (and so do I, but don't tell him or I'll never hear the end of it) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean about the flies. They tend to spoil the day out.
    Love the dog, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous dog - but I'm still not convinced about those flies.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  11. A dab of citronella on the clothing sometimes helps, Eileen - if only I remembered to use it!

    THanks, Suzanne :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Went out on my bike yesterday. I think I must have eaten a few dozen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well I wasn't expecting to get the ins and outs of being a fly on your blog, Teresa :-) Thank you for sharing.

    Great doggy picture.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah the joys of riding a bike, Keith - I remember the eating of flies well!

    I think it's a sign of having nothing to blog about, Jarmara! Although since I posted it I've noticed an advert on here for male strippers - bizarre!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How lovely, thank you Deirdra. I'm going to come over to visit your blog tomorrow. Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete