Monday 2 March 2009

Books about writing.

Books about writing. Where would we be without them? I've read dozens of the things and I have come away from most of them with something new and a few of them thinking "Why did I bother?". Of the dozens I have read over the years, I have kept just a few and the following are among them.

For anyone wanting to write and needing a lot of encouragement, I would recommend Dorothea Brande's Becoming a Writer. It was first published in the 1930s, but most of what she says about being a writer still holds true and probably always will.

I would also recommend Stephen King's On Writing, not just because I devour everything Mr King writes with a passion, but because the man knows his onions when it comes to writing.

Writing from Life by Lynne Hackles is an excellent book which does exactly what it says on the cover. It isn't just for fiction writers either. In her book, Lynne refers to the splinter of ice in every writer's heart. You'll have to read her book to find out what that means, but if you're a writer you'll recognise it.

Finally for now and specifically for short story writers, Della Galton's How To Write and Sell Short Stories is a must. Della has been writing for magazines for years and in her book she spells out exactly how it is done.

Like Mr King the girls know their onions, but what onions have to do with writing I don't know.

2 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more re Dorothea Brande and Stephen King - they'd be good for anyone wanting to write. And they're good if you need to remember why you started writing in the first place. Loved Lynne's book too, but haven't seen Della's yet. when are you going to write a how-to, Teresa?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Glynis! It's great to see you here.

    When I write a how-to it'll probably be How To Prevaricate . . .

    Thanks for dropping by - I hope you'll come again! (And I enjoyed your interview with Julie Redlich in WF - I love reading interviews with editors).

    ReplyDelete