Wednesday 2 February 2011

Calling 13s and under!

Heard about this on the Chris Evans breakfast show on Radio 2 this morning. It’s the BBC’s Year of Books and they are holding a competition for 13s and under to write a 500 word story.

We all know that children, unfettered by the self consciousness that creeps up on adults when they start to take writing seriously, write brilliant, imaginative stories so if you know anyone out there that might be interested send them
here.

There are writing tips from Anthony Horowitz, Howard Jacobson and Oliver Jeffers – just check out Anthony Horowitz’s fantastic bookshelves at the start of the video.

The top 50 young writers get to watch the breakfast show broadcast live from Hay on 3rd June – how great is that?

6 comments:

  1. Thank you very much, Teresa. My youngest daughter is twelve and loves writing and reading as much as I do. She will be massively interested in this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great encouragement for young writers. I've sent the link to my granddaughter and to my son who is a primary school teacher.
    If only we'd had this sort of opportunity when I was that age!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings from Southern California, USA

    I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You, ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love hearing about competitions and events that encourage young writing. Unfortunately my little brother hates writing so will not be interested (he obviously is very differnt to me!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's brilliant, Joanna. Hope she will go in for it.

    Wonderful isn't it, Gail. I see they're looking for teachers to be judges too.

    Great isn't it, Helen.

    Thank you for dropping bye, Ron.

    Aw it's a shame your little brother won't be interested, Emma.

    ReplyDelete