Sunday 12 November 2017

November


Anyone who knows me will know that I don’t like this time of year. Perhaps it is because my dad died in November when I was 18 and I have always felt sad around this time. And of course there is so much sadness surrounding Armistice Day when we remember so many who lost their lives.

This photo was taken in Malta about ten years before I was born. I must have been that twinkle in his eye. It's a favourite of mine because I can see both my boys in him.

My Dad


This week it will be six years since Tilly died. My funny, special, loving little dog. The first and only girl dog I ever had. It still feels raw. Perhaps because of the hopelessness that surrounded her decline and death. The way we knew we were losing her, but there was nothing we could do. I still feel the shock of realising she’d gone blind – and I didn’t know then that it was a result of liver disease. She had such a poor start in life and we didn’t get her until she was 8 months old. I’ll never forget the bond I had with her. I won’t say from the start because she barked at me for 90 minutes solid, but when I brought her home, she climbed on my lap in the back of the car and that was it - bonded. She never left my side. If I was ill in bed, she stayed with me, not even going downstairs to go out in the garden. If I went out, she howled miserably (Dusty does that too!) even with other people in the house.

My Tilly


I’ve loved all my dogs and cats and none any more than any of the others, but there is a corner of my heart that will always be bruised by her loss. She used to make me smile too, so much. And she was so clever. Indy and Oakley used to stand back and let her open doors for them. Despite being the smallest of the gang, she used to rescue them from other dogs.

I remember once – at this time of year – a load of geese were gathered on the field. She ran round them in a wide arc and disappeared into the glaring sun so that she could emerge from the glare, startling them all into the air. She was so pleased with herself! She never caught anything, never wanted to, but she did like to have fun.

A good thing that happened this month was visiting my youngest son and his family. I don’t know why, but I decided to take a photo of the halfway point between there and here. I always feel when we get to Stansted that we are either nearly there or nearly home. And sometimes we get to see planes flying low which I love! Never seem to have any children in the car though when that happens – typical isn’t it.

M11


Several mornings running I’ve seen Mute swans flying from the marshes to the boating lakes. I haven’t yet been able to get a decent photo! So this will have to do I’m afraid. The only sound they make is that loud wing whooshing.

Another bird blur


Speaking of swans, I took a picture of these on the Dock River during one of my walks before school pick-up. You’d hardly know there was a busy road behind me carrying all the port traffic, an industrial estate to the left of the river and the big shops, Morrisons, B&M etc to the right – and the port straight ahead. It's quite a nice and surprisingly peaceful spot to stop and think for a while.

Dock River


I will be glad once November is over and the Christmas lights start to appear (some people have already started) and the evenings will be darker, but bright. In December we can look forward to getting the shortest day out of the way as the nights start to pull out and we head towards spring!


20 comments:

  1. I think November is a naturally sad and reflective month. It's not my favourite time of year, but I do like having changing seasons and am willing to put up with November if it means I get March to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Patsy - and there are things I like about this time of year. The changing seasons as you say, oyster catchers and lapwings gathering on the fields, the pretty skies, the blue sea and rivers, geese and swans, the sense of everything going to sleep until spring. I feel oddly restless and yet too bleurgh to do anything. Roll on March :-)

      Delete
  2. Although I love this time of year, I do agree that November is a rather dark month, Teresa. One of my older brothers died suddenly in this month some years ago so memories of bereavement are bound to surface, especially with all the remembrance events, as you mentioned. What a great photo of your dad - I was only 12 when mine died and can empathise with the feelings of loss the photo must evoke. I can't believe it's so long since Tilly died. Hope you enjoy December a little more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were so young when your dad died, Rosemary. It must have been very hard for you. And to lose your brother too, I'm so sorry. I know you see the beauty of this time of year and I can honestly say that through reading your blog, I've started to see it in a new light and now instead of disliking the whole season, I've narrowed it down to November and perhaps one of these years I'll learn to like that too.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely post Teresa. Time goes so quickly so it will soon be the shortest day and we will be on the way up. Strangely, I took a photo of the swans on a lake near us. I have made it my Facebook picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maggie. I just had a look at your picture. It's lovely. I don't know what is happening with Facebook, but I seem to miss the posts I want to see (like yours) and just get a feed full of rubbish most of the time!

      Delete
    2. And I can only reply to your blog on my phone! Xx

      Delete
    3. It's all very weird isn't it. I use Chrome on my computer, but for some websites I have to use Edge and my phone is better than the computer for some things. I'm glad you were able to comment anyway :-)

      Delete
  4. It's so sad your dad died when you were so young, Teresa, and he looks so lovely in the photo. And what a special place in your heart your beautiful Tilly will always occupy - how wonderful she was to play such a clever game with the geese! No wonder November is a dispiriting and difficult month for you. We'll soon be halfway through it and Christmas is already beginning to seem just around the corner. Before we know it, we'll be welcoming in the new year and spring will be beckoning again XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post Teresa. November is I think a naturally sad month anyway and you have so many sad memories, and the dark nights and often not so good weather don't help. It's gorgeous sunshine here this morning funnily enough. But, like you say, the cheering lights (and I love the music) will soon herald Christmas. What a fabulous way to look at it - the shortest day then hey off we go towards spring again and the nights getting lighter. Sending love and hugs xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you, Sue. It is a lovely day today isn't it - but sooo cold. Not complaining though as the sunshine is very welcome xxx

      Delete
  6. What a lovely post, Teresa. Your dad looks so handsome - like the hero in a novel. Also, Tilly looks just adorable. I too have a Springer called Brook. She is 13 now but still loves to chase a ball on the village green and chase birds for the fun of it. She wouldn't know what to do if she caught up with one - probably run away! Like Tilly was with you, Brook follows me around the house and even sits outside the bathroom while I nip in to spend a penny! She brings so much happiness.
    November will soon be gone - just 10 more sleeps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angela - what a lovely thing to say about my dad.
      Brook sounds lovely - I hope she's chasing balls for many more years. We saw a springer at the vet's once who was 17 and he was still playful! They do bring so much happiness.
      I hadn't counted up, but only 10 more sleeps sounds good to me :-)

      Delete
  7. November is a transitioning month, full of changes, going from the darkness of winter to the light and festivities of Christmas and the prospect of spring.

    Tilly was one of a kind.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are a lot of changes in November, you're right. More than any other month I think.

      She certainly was one of a kind, Carol. I'm so glad she came to us - she'd had an offer of a home at a working dog kennel and she would have hated living outside and the guns would have terrified her x

      Delete
  8. Lovely photo of your father, Teresa. Yet another gorgeous one of Tilly. I won't say any more because...we dog people know. November is my favourite month, the smell of bonfires, the autumn leaves, the first frosts...had a wonderful frost here this morning. I have time to contemplate for a few weeks as I recuperate from my surgery. It did remind me though, that the last time I had anything as major as this done, at this stage, 10 days later, we hosted an enormous BBQ because I didn't like to cancel (It was July). The evening before our wonderful Keano, ate his last dinner, shuffled outside and lay down forever. His heart had given out. I was remembering that this morning too. Oh my, how the mind works...Enjoy the last few November days if you can. Love Debbie X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you a speedy recovery from your surgery, Debbie. Oh goodness though, those memories really hurt don't they. Take care and make sure you get plenty of rest - no hosting big parties for a while unless you are going to sit and be waited on! xx

      Delete
  9. These are great photos. The one of your dad is especially lovely. It's just December as I post this, so I hope you have a happier month to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julia. It's one of my favourite photos of him. I am feeling quite cheery as December begins.

      Delete