Sunday 24 September 2017

Warming to Autumn

Such a beautiful day today.

It started off with a red sky and you know how the saying goes, “Red sky in the morning, sailor’s warning.” Or if you prefer, “Red sky in the morning, shepherd’s warning.” The message is the same.

7 am


I decided to take it as a good omen and not a bad one. It just didn’t have the feel of a day with bad weather coming.

The day turned a little hazy, then the sun came out and this afternoon I decided to take a break from the writing and make the most of the good weather.

I walked to the edge of Little Oakley, then cut across to Ramsey and I stood for a few moments on the hill enjoying the view. Then I went to see the horses on the hill, before turning back for home.

The photos don’t do justice to the view from the hill. I should have taken them higher up than I did.  You can just about see the Ramsey windmill if you look hard enough (you might have to click on the picture to make it bigger).

Ramsey


The windmill was built sometime before 1819 in Woodbridge, Suffolk and was one of the four mills on the Mill Hills. It was moved to Ramsey in 1842.  In 1841, one of my several times great grandfathers lived on Mill Hill in Woodbridge and his occupation was miller. In the next census he was a jobbing labourer. I often look at that windmill and wonder…

There were some lovely autumn smells. Someone somewhere had a bonfire. There was the musky smell of ripe blackberries and the waft of horse manure. Moving on…



I paused in the shade of some horse chestnut trees and filled my pockets with… horse chestnuts. It was as I waddled down the road with my bulging pockets that I decided to call for a lift.

Now to find somewhere to put them where Dusty can’t get them and where the cats can’t knock them down to him, but where spiders will see them and scuttle off to live somewhere else (I live in hope and it has seemed to work in past years).

The oak tree has produced a bumper crop of acorns this year and Dusty thinks all his Christmases have come at once. He no longer has to dig around looking for stones to bring in to exchange for treats. We couldn’t understand how he kept appearing with acorns and oak apples when the back door was shut – then we found his secret stash hidden behind the chair! And they say springer spaniels are stupid.


The warmth of the sun, the slightly hazy feel to the day and the lightest of cool breezes made it feel like a spring day, but of course it wasn’t. It was an autumn day and I liked it.




10 comments:

  1. It was a lovely day wasn't it? I was outside all afternoon cutting the grass and having a bonfire, but then there were a few drops of rain so I called it a day, but it was nice. I was discussing acorns with my sister-in-law last night, and we both saying how many there are at the moment, far more than normal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two lovely smells - bonfires and freshly cut grass. Sometimes our tree doesn't seem to produce any acorns at all. It's known as a mast year when they produce loads (I looked it up - I didn't know this until today) and they think it has something to do with the weather. So this must be a mast year for acorns!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous September weather indeed and what great photos Teresa. We were talking about the use of horse chestnuts for putting off spiders, last night. Definitely worth a try if you say it has worked before! MY walk yesterday6 was to collect young Arthur from school with Florence in her buggy. We passed a field of sheep on the way and I took a photo. Glad I did because when we came back not 30 minutes later, every one had vanished. Most odd! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely don't get as many spiders with a few horse chestnuts around. It doesn't seem to put off the cellar spiders, but I don't mind them. How strange the sheep vanishing - I'm glad you got a photo and what lovely names your grandchildren have :-)

      Delete
  3. Some lovely descriptions of your walk Teresa. Hopefully we will see a few more sunny days before winter settles in. A good source of inspiration for your writing maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to write stories in my head on my walks, Maggie, but these days my head is full of clutter and I just settle for finding some peace and quiet inside myself. But I think unconsciously you bank things for later use :-)

      Delete
  4. Lovely post, Teresa, and I'm glad to hear you're beginning to enjoy autumn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I'm enjoying it so much today - blowing a hooley and it goes right through you and it's raining! But if we didn't have bad days, we wouldn't appreciate the good ones would we :-)

      Delete
  5. Autumn is my favourite time for walking Bonnie. Is it me or are the trees changing colour earlier this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, Wendy, it does seem a bit odd this year. Some trees are still green, some have lost all their leaves and others can't seem to make up their minds! Our oak tree hasn't changed colour yet.

      Delete