Saturday 16 September 2017

Quiet September Days

Seems to be September is often a quiet, mellow sort of month. Mind you it wasn’t quiet the other night when it sounded like the wind was trying its best to blow the roof off.

The children are all settled back at school and – mostly – enjoying it. They’re all excited about their topics for this term. Vikings, The War of the Roses and other such delights. I couldn’t believe it when three of them started on their homework the minute they got home from school – willingly and without anyone telling them to – while the fourth moaned because she hadn’t been given any yet.

Yes, I think they were ready to go back. 

Christmas has arrived in the shops and I bought a large red cake tin for £2.49 from Home Bargains – I do love a bargain. I am tempted to get more for storing all the Christmas cakes I make. 


I don't buy cake boards any more. The first thing we used to do on cutting the cake was to take it off the board and put it in a tin so now I put the cake on the upturned lid, decorate it, then use the bottom of the tin as a lid. Makes it easy to cut too. Just realised when I do that, the pattern will be upside down... oops.


I have to admit the sight of all the decorations and fripperies appearing in the shops has rather lifted my spirits. Christmas lights will brighten the darkest time of the year and that’s always good to look forward to.

What a lovely summer we had though even though the best of the weather seemed to be before the children broke up from school.

Before term ended, we went out for ice creams after school on a hot, sunny day.



Then at the start of the holiday, my two lovely granddaughters-from-away came to stay and oh boy did Dusty love that!




Dusty and Tinks have been getting closer. Not quite cuddling up yet…



Harley mostly spent the summer rolling about on the grass in the sun (or running round in the rain!).



And Harley comforted my eldest granddaughter after yet another mishap. Harley doesn’t “do” laps very often, but she seems to know when a cuddle is required.



We had a lot of fun, but we had some peaceful moments too.




It’s no secret I don’t look forward to autumn and winter, but I’m trying to look at the positives, the first one being roast dinners!


Is there anything you look forward to at this time of year?


14 comments:

  1. Summer is always over too quickly and it looks like you had a good one. I do like Autumn though with its hearty soups and cosy throws. I don't even mind the cold. It's just the short days that get to me - and of course no caravan and seaside from November to March!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's mainly the short days I don't like too. Short days and sad memories. You will be looking forward to March then :-)

      Delete
  2. How I love reading about your lovely grandchildren and your furry friends, Teresa. I love September- it's back to proper writing time x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe summer is over Teresa - I feel proper robbed.
    I do love Autumn though, and I look forward to walking amongst the trees once the leaves start to turn orange and red, and I love the smells of the new season too...

    I look forward to hot chocolate and cosy evenings by the fire too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh the smells of autumn, yes I like those too. Another positive aspect of it. I think past events turned me against the darker seasons, but deep down there are lots of things to like about them.

      Delete
  4. Great to see you being positive about the coming season. Most people are moaning about the 'C' word. I look forward to wearing winter clothes again, so much more comfortable. I also enjoy the last cut of the grass and the final tidying of the garden before we can leave it until the spring. I enjoy the new term when I can get back to my writing and art classes and meet up with friends again. Lots to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another positive thought, Maggie, putting the garden to rest until spring. And it's lovely that you have your classes to look forward to. I never liked school, but I certainly used to look forward to evening classes beginning in September.

      Delete
    2. My classes are in the daytime Teresa, so even better. I don't venture far on dark nights.

      Delete
  5. I love the smell of September with its promise of autumn and hopefully sunshine on the fantastic colour of the leaves. And drawing the curtains, lamps and fire on and relaxing (or writing ;-). Somehow, lovely though it is you feel you ought to be outside when its light don't you! Only thing I don't like is bad road conditions, scary. But I do honestly think every season has something joyful to offer doesn't it. But it is hard when memories come flooding back. xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lovely image, Sue - sunshine on the autumn leaves. You're right, all seasons have their plus points xx

      Delete
  6. How lovely that the grandchildren enjoy their homework so much, Teresa! Love your cake tin and what a good idea. As you know, I love everything about this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are inspiring me to enjoy it instead of dreading it, Rosemary - you're always so enthusiastic about the arrival of autumn!

      Delete