Wednesday 17 August 2016

Over Here from Over There

We spend a lot of time over here looking over there – at Walton. We haven’t been for a couple of years so took a picnic over yesterday.

I used to cycle over there with my friends when I was very much younger. We’d chain our bikes up outside the pier then go and have a day of fun before setting off for home.

Yesterday we walked round the nature reserve and observed some nature.

Red Admiral having a shoe stop


The tide was in, but we’d never planned it to be a fossil hunting day.

The Cliffs


I’m sure they are hollyhocks growing on the cliffs!

The Naze Tower


So this is how over here looks from over there.

Home



I’m sure I’ve posted before about how strange it is to see something familiar from a different perspective - a bit like catching sight of your reflection in a shop window without the terrible fright!




11 comments:

  1. It always gives me an odd feeling when I view the familiar from a distance. I almost immediately try to conjure up a vivid memory from the last time I was at the faraway spot, even if it was only 30 minutes or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a strange feeling. The smaller children also think it is somehow magical how we can see the tower at Walton as we drive home along the coast road when we were there only a short time before :-) xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Teresa,

    I can relate to this. Actually, when I returned to a place that was a distant childhood memory, the place in question, a beach near Greenock in Scotland, looked quite grim through my adult eyes.

    In your case, my kind friend, your reflection in the shop window will amaze you in the nicest possible way! :)

    Gary xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We see things very differently through adult eyes don't we.
      I suppose I'm never going to look pleasant in a shop window since I hate shopping and always look fed up and grumpy ;-) xx

      Delete
    2. Just read your blog, Gary - I hope you're okay. I've missed what's been happening, but whatever it is, I'm sorry you're having all this worry and stress. Take care xx

      Delete
  3. I can't see that you ever need to go away on holiday as you live in such a beautiful place. We always go to the coast. Do you travel inland I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking about it, we've mostly headed for another coast! I have to confess, I don't like going away from home and haven't done for a while - too much of a home bird I think :-) xx

      Delete
  4. Your second photo 'The Cliffs' made me smile because you could have titled it The Brawny Boy' :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous blog as ever Teresa and such fab photos.
    I know what you mean about shopping, I'm so grateful to still be blessed with local shops so don't have to 'go' shopping often thank heavens. Just been, though, and got back to find two enormous vans either side of where I was parked so it was not an easy job getting out. But helped by a very charming chap who indicated how much room I had at the back so not all bad ;-) He changed my perspective beautifully!!
    I really cannot imagine you looking fed up and grumpy lovely Teresa :-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw how lovely, Sue - it's nice to have a helping hand when you need one :-) Oh I have perfected fed up and grumpy over the years. My mum always warned me I'd stick like that if the wind changed and maybe she was right ;-) xx

      Delete