Saturday 1 April 2017

Getting My Goat!


Sadly I haven't got a goat - although I would love to have one or a few. I took the photo at an animal rescue centre. Look at that beautiful expressive face, "Stop taking photos and give me more FOOD!"

There are several explanations for the origins of getting your goat. One is that in days gone by, a goat was placed with a racehorse the night before a race as a calming influence and rivals might nick the goat to upset the horse.

The title of this post came to mind because at the time I started writing it, a lot of things were getting my goat and turning me into a grumpy old mare (see what I did there?).

I wrote a lengthy rant about all the goaty things and deleted it. Life’s too short to dwell on the goat getters.

Some upheaval during the past few weeks has resulted in a very tidy house and multiple trips to the tip. I even found a couple of books I’d bought a few years ago for research and never got round to reading. Happiness!

I’ve rediscovered my baking mojo too and have been making lots of cakes every weekend – including Heavenly Nutty Chocolate Cups which aren’t cakes and don’t need to be baked. They are extremely popular with everyone. The kids are always asking when I’m going to make more and they are vegan which pleases my oldest grandson (and me!). And I ring the changes by sometimes using different nuts – I like to use peanuts and cashews.

At the moment school seems to be getting the resident little person’s goat and Harley thought if she went to sleep on her school shirt she would save her. Unfortunately her cunning plan didn’t work – it was a shirt put aside because it has been outgrown.



They’re all more than ready for the Easter holidays and a break from school – and so am I.

Happy Spring!





15 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your post, Teresa - what a cute photo. I'm sure you'll all enjoy the Easter holidays when they arrive. Your grandchildren are lucky in having you there for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosemary. It will be lovely if the weather stays like it is at the moment.

      Delete
  2. I love the photo of the grumpy goat. Very expressive. I can't believe we are now into April and my daughter is coming home from uni tomorrow for the Easter holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The year is going by quickly isn't it. I hope you get to enjoy some good times with your daughter this holiday.

      Delete
  3. I know you always look forward to holidays with the grandchildren, and you are lucky to have them close by. I wonder why time flies by more quickly as we get older? We are off for our first break of the year at the end of Easter. The anticipation is almost as good as the holiday. We are going to the coast. It must be lovely to live there all the time. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel very lucky to have most of them here, Maggie. I do miss the two that live away, but it's nice that they can come here for holidays. I hope you have a lovely time when you go away and the weather stays good for you. Would you believe if we go to a different part of the coast, I get just as excited when I get my first glimpse of the sea, but it is nice to be here.

      Delete
  4. I hope you enjoy the Easter holidays as much as I enjoyed your goaty post, Teresa, especially Harley on the school top! The chocolate cups sound heavenly and we have one vegan in the family, so will definitely make these! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanna. Those chocolate cups really are delicious and they go so fast (and there are loads of vegan recipes on Miriam's blog) xxx

      Delete
  5. I never knew where the tern 'getting your goat came from'. I have a similar photo to yours taken a few years ago. I was standing next to it and didn't realise it was eating my jumper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either, Wendy until I looked it up. That was a cheeky goat - eating your jumper!

      Delete
  6. Well, I didn't know that Teresa! Great photo of the Goat and it sounds as though your Easter Holidays are fully booked. I too consider myself lucky having the grandchildren close. Roll on Easter! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love goats :-) Happy Easter - and Happy Grandchildren!

      Delete
  7. I'm a little late reading this 'goat' post Teresa, but, it certainly made me smile. I've been a grumpy old woman just lately. You're quite right, life is too short!
    Hopefully, you'll blog again soon, and I'll get here a bit quicker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maria - I think we're all entitled to feel a bit grumpy now and then. You reminded me I hadn't blogged for a while and I know dormant blogs sometimes get taken over, so I've done a quick one today! It's ages since I read any, so I've a lot of catching up to do.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete