Tuesday 17 August 2010

Meerkats and Serial Killers

Before I get into full waffle mode may I just direct you to Lynne Hackles’ post here http://lynnehackles.blogspot.com/2010/08/help-in-naming-characters.html

And when you get there (Lynne explains it all so much better than I would) follow the link Lynne has put up. You’ll see why when you get there.

Meerkats. Cute little things aren’t they. I think so too, but to be honest I’m getting sick of the sight of the toy versions which seem to be popping up everywhere.

You can’t go into a stationery store, a garden centre or an innocent looking High Street shop without seeing a bunch of them. Some are wearing waistcoats. I blame a certain advert.

They even had them in The Works. I bought some paint brushes and a book about serial killers and my beloved got a pair of Jack Higgins. I would have bought their only copy of Marley and Me – as if the film didn’t make me cry enough – but the cover was all mangled and call me fussy, but if I buy a new book even if it’s cheap I want it in decent condition.

That reminds me – I once flounced out of Waterstones in a huff because the only copy of a Monty Python book I wanted to buy was battered and covered in stains. It was only when I ordered one through my local book store that I realised it was supposed to look like that!

So last night I had a little read before going to sleep – as you do – and put my serial killer book up on the high cupboard beside my bed. And just as I was drifting off, it flung itself off the cupboard and bashed me on the head on its way to the floor.

Then I had a very disturbing dream about an old lady wearing a headscarf (no it wasn’t her Maj) and she was trying to tell me something about a murder, but she was terrified she’d be overheard.

I tried to get some nice photos of the dogs. Here’s one of Indy at the bottom of a ditch. Oh he’s down there all right – you can just about see the white flash of his neck fur.





And the pair of them eating grass – they seem to think they’re horses every time we go out and must graze.




And unusually, Tilly posed for a photo. Normally I only get a shot of her tail or the back of her head, but for some reason she decided she’d come right up to me and stand still. Well at least I got one decent shot today!

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for another chat over the 'virtual' garden wall, Teresa. I've also noticed the Meerkat takeover. Don't worry, it'll pass.

    Tilly has obviously cottoned on to how beautiful she is. What girl wouldn't want her photo taken, armed with such knowledge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Tilly :). Thanks for the link too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link Teresa. Oh and a tip to get your dogs to take a good picture? Hold up a doggie treat above your head, camera in the other hand and then snap away. Believe me they will sit and do *anything* to get the treat. It's the only way I can get my two dogs to sit and look up at me at the same time. Take care. Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tilly thanks you, Martin. And I thank you because you spelt meerkat right and I hadn't so I've edited the post now!

    Tilly thanks you too, Lacey!

    Thanks Caroline, I'll give that a go. They will do anything for food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The monty python book thing sounds like the sort of error I'd make. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too liked the Monty Python story.
    Actually, I felt a bit foolish myself the other day. Reading my first Stephen King I wanted to know a bit more about Duma Key. So I got out my atlases but couldn't find it anywhere. It wasn't till I Googled it that I realised it was completely fictitious. Still, I finished the book and enjoyed it. It was a bit hard going at first. There's a character that uses a lot of Spanish phrases and there are a few references I didn't understand – either because I'm out of touch or perhaps because they are from American culture. Anyway, now that I'm used to his style I'm trying Bag Of Bones.
    Thanks, Teresa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad I’m not the only one, Ellie. The trouble is I’d normally rather poke myself in the eye than complain, but in this instance I took the book up to the counter and asked if they had a copy in decent condition. They said it was the only one they had so I plonked it down and said in that case they could keep it! This is why I don’t complain – it’s sod’s law if I do I’ll be in the wrong!

    I did the same, Keith – Googled Duma Key thinking that it must exist. I like books that get me looking things up and wondering! I hope you like Bag of Bones. It’s a long time since I read that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nearly done for by a book about serial killers! Now that is a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a dream! Could there be a story in there somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the link.

    I'm the same - nothing upsets me more than a mangled book. I've sent several back to Amazon with angry letters (arrived damaged - packaging in tact).

    Gorgeous photo of Tilly.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  11. There has to be a story there, Helen - if I can ever find it!

    And there Jarmara . . .

    Oooh that annoys me too, Suzanne - packaging intact, but books mangled!

    ReplyDelete